Olcsó szállás ajánlatok

Sights of Szentgotthárd (Szentgotthárd)

Given the nearby border crossing most visitors pass through town in transit. It is worth stopping by to explore the Cistercian church, the belfry and the Slovenian minority museum.

The 'new' Baroque church and monastery of the Cistercians.

Founded by King Béla III, the town was established in 1183 when the king asked French Cistercian monks to settle in the area between the rivers Lapincs and Rába. He had a monastery and a church built for them. Since then the settlement has born the name of St Gotthard, the patron saint of the church.

Progress was enhanced by the opening of the Körmend-Graz railway line in 1872. Scythe, silk and watch manufactures were established and the number of residents of the small town started to increase. This development was halted by World War I and following the end of the war Szentgotthárd became a border town. Following World War II there was a marked regression, but the changes of political system in 1989 have brought new life to the town with the establishment of an Austrian-Hungarian industrial park. Several multinational companies have branches here.

The village of Rábakethely has merged with the town and in the early 1980's more villages were annexed to Szentgotthárd: Rábafüzes/Raabfidisch and Jakabháza/Jakobshof, almost all German inhabitants of which were deported in 1946, Rábatótfalu/Slovenska Ves on the Felsőszölnök road inhabited by Wendish (Slovenians), Máriatótfalu and Farkasfa.




Ágoston Pável Museum

The only Slovenian ethnic museum in Hungary, it exhibits the Slovenian traditions around Szentgotthárd, along with old tools and equipment as well as objects of the pottery legacy from the areas of Őrség and Vendvidék.

The museum was established in 1983 from the ethnographic collection of Károly Gáspár and its folk art exhibition is housed in the so-called Styrian House built in the early 20th century. The establishment was named after Ágoston Pável (1886-1946), a Slovenian linguist and researcher of ethnography.


Roman Catholic church of the Assumption, CistercianRoman Catholic church Szentgotthárd

This Baroque-style Cistercian church dedicated to the Assumption of Our Lady (Nagyboldogasszony) was built between 1740 and 1769 according to plans by Franz Anton Pilgram. The internal wall paintings are works of 18th-century Baroque masters.

Stephan Dorffmeister painted the ceiling fresco depicting the Battle of Szentgotthárd. The high altarpiece is a work of Matthias Gusner who also created the ceiling frescos of the sanctuary vault and of the nave's second vault segment which depicts the revelation of John the Divine.

Among the 18th-century Rococo furnishings are the particularly beautiful gilt pulpit, the carved organ case and the pews carpentered from stained oak decorated with black marquetry.
Medieval and Renaissance tombstones are built into the wall of the sacristy corridor.

The church and the Cistercian monastery were built on the site of the former castle. According to the original design two monastery wings would have framed the church, however, only the southern wing was executed.


Accommodation in Szentgotthárd:


Map of Szentgotthárd:



Szállás Szentgotthárd és környékén

Tavi vendégház - Szentgotthárd
4500 Ft/fő/éj - től

Vendégházunk az Őrség kapujában, egy fenyvesekkel körülvett völgyben fekszik, mindössze 300 méterre vas megye legnagyobb tavától. A Hársas tó mintegy 17 hektáron... Tudjon meg többet!

Szállás Szentgotthárd - Tavi vendégház adatlapja

5400 Ft/fő/éj - től

Családias hangulatú szállásunk az ország legnyugatibb vidékén, az Őrségi Nemzeti Park területén a Vendvidék központjában, Apátistvánfalván találhatja. Ausztria 10... Tudjon meg többet!

Szállás Apátistvánfalva - Apát Hotel és Étterem adatlapja

Zsida Termál Panzió - Szentgotthárd

Szentgotthárd zöldövezetében várjuk pihenni és kikapcsolódni vágyó vendégeinket színvonalasan felszerelt szobáinkban! Tudjon meg többet!

Szállás Szentgotthárd - Zsida Termál Panzió adatlapja